Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Anonymous Prayers

Being a pastor's wife gives me a unique vantage point. So often, I allow the lies to creep in that say being a pastor's wife is a burden rather than a blessing. Just view this previous post to see the evidence.

But not this past Sunday. At church, I was talking to a couple during our "question of the day" meet-and-greet time. Someone flanked me with a big hug, and said, "Hi!" I looked over and saw the hugger was a recent acquaintance - I have briefly taught her daughters in children's ministry, and I sat next to her during a women's minstry lecture for about 15 minutes until I had to get my separation anxiety-ridden son and get the heck out of there. So I was a little surprised that she was hugging me so tightly, but I also liked it because I truly love people! I really didn't think anything of it beyond that.

After the service, we were both picking up kiddos from children's ministry, and she stopped me. Kind of unsure, or maybe a little embarassed, she said, "I just want you to know that I've been praying for you. And I'm not really even sure why!" WOW. There it is, folks. Being a pastor's wife just doesn't get any better than this. People just pray for you - for seemingly no good reason! It totally rocks the PW house in my book. Now what this gal didn't know is I NEED HER PRAYERS! Yes, we all need prayers, and I hope you all have people loving on you in this way (if not, let me know - I'll pray for you!). But, pastors and pastor's wives and families especially need prayer. With our lives being devoted to ministry, our enemy would heartily destroy us in an instant. What's more, I can tell when people are praying for me. There are moments that I can sense the raising of a burden, and I know God's power is at work and that his people are petitioning on my behalf. I thank you for these "anonymous prayers".

My desire is that every one of you would be in this battle, too. That you would be daily walking closely with the Lord, and that your words and your actions would be making the name of Christ glorious in this place. And that means you need prayer for this, too.

God, give us all the courage to fight against our real enemy. Make us devoted to You and Your glory. Thank you for your followers who are so selflessly seeking you. Give them endurance to keep their eyes fixed on the author and perfector of our faith, Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. This is my favorite so far!
    ~LeEtta

    ReplyDelete
  2. LeEtta - I'm so glad you like it! Such a joy.

    ReplyDelete